Zoom Phone Emergency Calling Services
Customer Notification for Global Customers
Effective February, 2020
This notification provides important information about the ability to connect to emergency calling services using Zoom Phone. Please read it carefully.
Zoom Phone Emergency Calling Service: Zoom Phone Emergency Calling Service operates differently than traditional emergency calling services. Zoom Phone is required to advise our customers of the circumstances under which emergency calling may not be available or may be in some way limited by comparison to traditional emergency calling service. Please be aware of the following important information.
(1) Be prepared during any service interruption. VoIP phone service depends not only on your continued subscription (and payment) for the service, but also on Internet connectivity and power to function. In the event of power, network, or Internet outages (including congestion), or if your service is disconnected or suspended due to non-payment, you may experience a failure, disruption or delay in your emergency calling service. We recommend that you keep an alternative phone service (such as a cellular telephone) handy to increase the reliability of your access to emergency services during any service interruption.
(2) Do not disconnect. Until you are told to do so by an emergency dispatcher, do not disconnect your emergency services call. If you are inadvertently disconnected, call back immediately.
(3) Network Configuration. If your company’s network configuration does not permit Zoom Phone service to connect, your company will not have access to Zoom Phone service and therefore will not have access to emergency calling services.
(4) Service Relocation and Non-Native Telephone Numbers. Traditional emergency calling services automatically send emergency calls to the appropriate local emergency call response center, based on the user’s telephone number. Traditional Enhanced Emergency Calling services automatically send emergency calls to the appropriate local emergency call response center, with the user’s address and telephone number. Because Zoom Phone service permits customers (and customers’ users) to use Zoom Phone service anywhere they have broadband Internet access, and to obtain numbers that may not correspond with their current location, Zoom Phone Emergency Calling Service functions differently than traditional Emergency Calling service in certain respects:
Because a user’s telephone number does not necessarily correspond with the user’s physical location, all users must provide Zoom Phone with their Registered Location when the company sets up their service. The Registered Location is the street address where the users will be using Zoom Phone service.
Zoom Phone will, where possible, automatically transmit a user’s Registered Location to the appropriate local emergency call response center. Accordingly, if a user relocates the equipment (for example, laptop, tablet, mobile device, desktop phone or desktop computer) used to access Zoom Phone Service, the user must update the Registered Location. If the user does not update the Registered Location, any emergency call the user makes using the Zoom Phone Service will be routed based on the user’s previously provided Registered Location and therefore may not be routed to the appropriate local emergency call response center for the user’s current location.
Once a user notifies Zoom Phone of a change in the Registered Location, there may be a delay in making the new Registered Location available to properly route emergency calls and advise local emergency call response centers of the user’s Registered Location.
If a user’s Registered Location is not correct, or for other technical reasons, the local emergency call response center may not have the user’s address and telephone number. Accordingly, users should be ready to provide their name, location, and telephone number to an answering local emergency call response center immediately when connected.
(5) Inform other Users. You must notify employees, visitors, or other potential users of your VoIP service of the nature and limitations of emergency calling. To make this easier, attach the stickers provided by Zoom Phone in a visible location on your equipment.
(6) Outbound-Only Extensions. Your company may choose to enable certain extensions for outbound-only calling. Outbound-only extensions will not be assigned a telephone number to receive inbound calls. If you use a Zoom Phone outbound-only extension to make emergency calls, that call will be routed using your company’s main address and the emergency call response center will receive your company’s main address and your company’s main Zoom-assigned telephone number as the call-back number.
(7) Limitation of Liability. Zoom Phone does not have any control over whether, or the manner in which, local emergency call response centers answer or respond to emergency calls made using Zoom Phone service. Zoom Phone disclaims all responsibility for the conduct of local emergency call response centers. Zoom Phone relies on third parties to route emergency calls to local emergency call response centers. Zoom disclaims any and all liability or responsibility in the event such third party routes calls incorrectly or the data used to route calls is incorrect. Neither Zoom Phone nor its officers, directors, employees, affiliates, agents and any other service providers who provides service to you in connection with Zoom Phone Service (“Zoom Indemnitees”) may be held liable for any claims, damages, or losses, fines, penalties, costs and expenses arising from or relating to Zoom Phone Emergency Calling Service (collectively, “Claims”), and you hereby waive any and all such Claims unless such Claims arise from Zoom’s gross negligence, recklessness or willful misconduct. You shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Zoom Indemnitees from any Claims by, or on behalf of, your or any third party relating to the absence, failure or outage of Zoom Phone Service, incorrectly routed emergency calls, and/or the inability of any user of the service to be able to use emergency calling service or access emergency service personnel.
Customer account administrators must confirm that they have read and understood this notice before enrolling users on Zoom Phone. Customers are responsible for ensuring that the Registered Location is kept updated for their users and for complying with all requirements of the emergency calling services notice.
Zoom's policies may require modifications in order to comply with applicable laws and regulatory requirements. Any such changes to Zoom's policies will be posted here. If you would like to receive notification of updates to our policies, please provide your email address in the box below.