Upwell Uses Zoom to Continue Global Sea Turtle Conservation Efforts Amid COVID-19
Zoom helps U.S. nonprofit Upwell connect with communities and scientists around the world to protect sea turtles, wherever they may be.
Zoom gives us the ability to connect face-to-face with other conservationists around the globe and bring people together that have a common vision, giving us new perspectives and giving everyone a chance to weigh in.
Dr. George ShillingerExecutive Director, Upwell
Six of the seven sea turtle species in our oceans are either threatened, endangered, or critically endangered, and with migration patterns that stretch for thousands of miles and back again, scientists and conservationists across the globe must carefully coordinate their efforts to ensure the future of these animals. Conservationists at Upwell, a nonprofit organization dedicated to sea turtle conservation, are using Zoom to coordinate efforts and build a global coalition dedicated to protecting sea turtles wherever they are.
Upwell and its global team of scientists are looking to protect turtles where they spend most of their lives – out in the ocean. These efforts require forging connections between agencies and local communities and bringing together diverse groups around a common goal, but such relationship-building often requires close coordination and in-person meetings with communities thousands of miles away, which has been next to impossible during COVID-19.
Conservation work doesn’t halt when the flights stop, so Upwell turned to Zoom to continue connecting with communities and scientists around the world.
“Zoom is providing ‘end-to-end’ service for users, just like Upwell works to provide ‘end-to-end’ protection for sea turtles throughout their life history – from the beach to foraging habitats and back,” said Dr. George Shillinger, Upwell’s Executive Director. “Zoom gives us the ability to connect face-to-face with other conservationists around the globe and bring people together that have a common vision, giving us new perspectives and giving everyone a chance to weigh in.”
- Reliable service that allows Upwell to connect with conservationists, fishermen, and stakeholders around the planet, often in remote locations with poor connectivity
- A secure meeting environment in which Upwell’s stakeholders can have complex conversations in face-to-face exchanges
- An intuitive meeting experience that empowers local communities to participate in conservation efforts
- Opportunities for Upwell to democratize its communication efforts by giving all stakeholders the chance to speak and be heard
- Features like screen sharing to make collaboration and disseminating information fast and effective
- A solution that allows them to get real-time updates from research sites and mentor students from around the globe
While the global focus has shifted recently due to COVID-19, conservation work continues around the world and even in remote locations. Upwell has been able to take a proactive approach to conservation during the pandemic with Zoom, providing communities around the world with the opportunity to meaningfully participate in ensuring a future for all species of sea turtles.
To learn more about Upwell’s mission and how they are using Zoom to save the sea turtles, visit www.upwell.org/. To learn more about using Zoom for global collaboration, schedule a personalized demo with a Zoom product expert today.